Sunday, September 26, 2010

Three is the new Two

It was a long weekend in Chicago. Lots of activity, visit and babysitting by cousin Erin and a round trip to Munster, twice. Pen was running around with little room for routine. I could blame all that on her behavior but realizing in short order that this is just how it's going to be.

Someone has found her voice, is testing her independence, is leaving the nest as they say. My favorite moment from the weekend was just after a complete meltdown. Absolutely not listening to either of us, saying "no" empathically and then bursting into tears with the inevitable, "hold me mommy" follow-up. I get her to settle and decide to try to talk to her rationally (I know, she's 2 - it's good practice). I ask her simply; " why aren't you listening to mommy and daddy?" She took a deep breath, wiped the tears from her eyes and cheeks and simple replied; "I just don't do that anymore mommy".

Fair enough.

No comments: